How to be more Danish, in ten easy steps.
We asked the good people on Twitter how to be a Dane in 10 steps…
Here are some of the top replies:
1. Wear black. And only black.
2. Eat open sandwiches. Preferably topped with cheese and jam. Yes, jam.
3. Throw the word "hygge" randomly into sentences, then pretend to try really hard to find an English translation. Yet again.
4. Never use the word please, with the excuse that “but we don’t HAVE a word for please in Danish”.
5. Test ANY non-Dane on whether they like salty liquorice and laugh when they don't.
6. Have an awkward sense of humour and laugh at jokes such as “Do you know how to save a Swede from drowning? No? Good!” HarHarHarHar... See also: making fun of everything Swedish. And Norwegian. And Icelandic. And German.#hilarious
7. Have a flagpole in your garden and raise the Danish flag at every opportunity (Sundays, public holidays, birthdays, popping to the shops…)
8. If someone asks you how you are, be sure to really explain to them how you are feeling.
9. Top most food groups with a dollop of remoulade. Especially chips, beef, fish and hotdogs. And salami. And meatballs.
10. Always have one white sock over one trouser leg (or roll one trouser leg up, if not wanting to wear white socks over your all-black outfit). You never know when you might be going cycling. This way, you can be ready in a flash.