Recipe: Smoked Mackerel salad with fennel and apple
Ahhh, hello summer.
Try this salad - it may sound simple, but it is very delicious.
Smoked Mackerel Salad with Fennel, Apple and peas
- 1 packet smoked mackerel fillets (approx. 250-300g)
- A large handful of mixed salad leaves
- ½ fennel bulb
- ½ tart apple such as Pink Lady or Granny Smith
- 200g frozen peas
- A tablespoon chopped chives
- A tablespoon of fresh tarragon
- Salt, pepper, a dollop of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice
- 50g honey
- 15g whole grain mustard
- 15g red wine vinegar
Finely shave fennel on mandolin or with a very sharp knife and place in a bowl. Then shave the apple in similar thin pieces. Combine with fennel, then dress with lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil.
Arrange the mixed leaves on individual plates or a large flat serving dish.
Thaw the peas and sprinkle on the leaves along with the tarragon and chives.
Tear bite sized pieces of smoked mackerel and arrange across the salad (taking care to check for bones), then add the fennel and apple pieces on top.
To make the dressing, whisk ingredients with a fork then use sparingly on the salad, as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper (depending on the seasoning of the fish), you may not need to use much).